Tuesday, August 18, 2020

How to Review for NCLEX-RN

     

   Things I did to review for NCLEX-RN that might help you pass the exam


        So you're halfway there on your journey to become US-RN. Before you proceed on sitting down for the exam, ask yourself these questions same way as I did:

        "When am I  gonna take the exam?"

        "What review materials should I use?"



"When am I  gonna take the exam?"

  • First things first, what is the current status of your NCLEX-RN application? You can't book your exam on Pearson View if you don't have your Eligibility letter coming from the Board of Nursing you applied to.

  • Once you got your Eligibility letter, sign in to your Pearson View account and check for the available examination dates. Then assess yourself if between this day up to your exam date, is enough for you to pass the exam. Don't book your exam yet. Just take note of the specific date you want to sit for exam.

  • With that said, it's better if you print a calendar were you can write and erase notes for each day. That calendar will serve as your guide for what you were about to study and also for quick glance of your timeline.



  • Here is an example of my study schedule. I gotta admit myself, I want everything organize. I also use colored ballpoint-pens. So I can easily distinguish what am I looking for. I categorize my notes according to body systems or major subjects. For example, I used red ball-pen only for my notes on Cardiovascular and Respiratory systems. Green for Gastrointestinal etc. It's up to you on what color you can easily recognize your calendar and notes.

  • So, if you're asking how to categorize your studies into major subjects, we will discuss that later on. You can also use your phone as your calendar. But for me, I find it hard to edit, at the same time mobile phones are distraction for me even when I scheduled my apps on disabled mode on a specific time. It is best to delete your social media apps and games that might cause distraction.

  • Once you're almost halfway done on your review materials, that is the best time to schedule your exam. If you didn't make it to the exam date that you first note, that is fine. If that date also got fully booked, that is also totally fine. Why? Because if you already book that date earlier, for sure you're gonna keep rescheduling it for like up to five times because your not ready. Lol! (Based on my experience). But it is totally up to you. If you don't want to lose that date, book it. It really depends on your self-assessment. Currently, rescheduling the exam is free. Just do reschedule one business day ahead of your exam date.



"What review materials should I use?"

  • Based on my experience, one review material is not enough for me, unless you are a fresh grad Nursing. 

  • I tried a review class in the Philippines, it didn't worked for me. Although I learned a lot, met new friends and our instructors are really amazing. But I guess within one month of in-person class, It's all jammed up on my mind and I can't organize the lessons enough as they are fast paced teaching. Aside from me being a slow learner, it's been 4 years since I sat down in a class room. That cost me Php 26,000. Without our rent and daily food expenses in Manila.

  • I also purchased Kaplan online class. It comes with scheduled online class that you're gonna attend to and also some notes to study. I find that the "decision tree" helped me on answering practice questions, but not all questions can use that method. It didn't worked for me because I need a content that doesn't get me bored and I want some pictures or illustrations so I can visualize stuffs. That cost me $399.

  • Then, my workmate who is also reviewing for NCLEX advised me to use Saunders. It helped me a lot, as they categorize the subjects under units which you can easily focus onto. At the same time it is colored and has pictures and illustrations which I don't easily get bored. I finished the book cover to cover. In order for me to that, it took me 2 months. The 8th edition costs $50 today.

  • As I'm laying my foundation with the help of Saunders, I also purchased UWorld NCLEX-RN. Since Saunders is divided into major topics, I answered UWorld questions with the same topics that I red from the Saunders book. So how does it work? UWorld is a review material specializes on Qbank. They have thousand of practice questions and you can pick according to the subject or mix questions with any other subjects. Questions can be numbered up to 75 depends on a subject, can be with a timer according to the number of your questions. The best thing about UWorld is their rationale! I mean it. They explain it clear and crisp direct to the point. Right and wrong answer choices also have explanation, sometimes with illustrations. The interface looks like NCLEX exam and it is available on your app/play store for download on your phone or tablet. They also have different question types. You will learn to love SATA. Your money is well spent here! I purchased 60 day access for $159. The cheapest is the 30 day access for $129.

Excuse for my long nail. Lol!

  • When I purchased UWorld, I'm almost done on my Saunders book. Instead of going back to the previous topics in Saunders that I already forgot, I purchased Hurst online review. Hurst review is a content review with QBanks. What I love about Hurst is their Video lectures categorized into major topics. After you purchased their course, they will send you a book. This book is divided into major topics same as the online videos. It is fill in the blank-book that when watching video lecture, you need to follow and write the word they said from the lecture intended for the blank spaces. When I didn't hear clearly, I just rewind the video for a bit, unlike on in-person class which mostly fast paced teaching. Video lectures are fun and easily understandable so as the lecturer and I never get bored with each lecture. Hurst also have a QBank but for me, I prefer the QBank of UWorld for practice questions. What's best on Hurst is their video lectures with the fill-in-the blanks book. For me, Hurst UWorld combo will help you pass the NCLEX alone. I spent $199 for the Hurst online course. (Video lectures, book and QBank included)

I also used colored book marks for easy access on each subjects. (OCD strikes again)

  • So after I'm done with the video lecture on Hurst, for example Cardiovascular lecture. I will open my UWorld account and answer questions under the subject of Cardiovascular. For me it's better to fully understand one subject before you proceed to another. Because after you're done with every subjects, you will mix all the questions like the real nclex exam. Then I slowly increase the number of my questions up to 75. Then later on, 75 mixed questions plus with timer. You need to get used to the real NCLEX exam. It's better when you mimic the nclex environment as well. While answering QBanks from UWorld, you shouldn't be eating or drinking. No distractions and noise.

        "So what is the best review material?"

                    For content:                       Saunders or Hurst

                    For practice questions:     UWorld

        "What is the best combination?"

                    Hurst + UWorld      or      Saunders + UWorld

        
        PLEASE READ "NOTE TO SELF" BELOW, BEFORE YOU PICK REVIEW MATERIALS!



  *** Repetition is the key

  • Now that you knew which material that suites you best, you will encounter normal lab values along your review process. Normal lab values are not all the same and varies each textbooks. But stick to the lab values you will encounter on your chosen review material. Also, you tend to memorize them if you always see them. By placing these normal lab values next to your computer, it will help you remember them as each day goes by because you always see them.
Color coded pens helps you distinguish the normal values under which subject. For example, Blood Values like RBC, WBC and Platelets is mostly under Cardio, I used red pen for Cardio lecture so red pen is the best color for this normal values (OCD hits again) 


  • Every morning, I'm used to checking my phone then glance to my social media apps. Since I already deleted those apps that distracts me, I want something that I can glance on bed before rising. Then my American friend an RN for years, suggested me to create these Flash cards. Don't get me wrong. I already have my notes on my notebook at the same time the summary on Hurst book is really helpful. I was hesitant at first, but I gave it a try. What I did, is I only wrote those notes that I always having hard time to remember. Also, the notes that I always encounter from one subject to another.
Still color coded. As you can see I used pink pen for Maternal.With some drawing. Lol!
I do have hard time in Maternal Nursing, so majority of my cards made for that subject.


  *** Exam day

  • They always suggest that, don't review anymore the day before your exam date. And that's what I did. I just relaxed my mind and body. I just watched TV, but my social media and games are still deleted. I just want to chill. Then eat good and healthy foods, a day before your exam, so your tummy is along with you up to your exam day.
  • Plan your travel/commute ahead and make a time allotment for sudden traffic jam. 
  • Prepare your ID's or Passport, make sure they're still valid. There is a thorough details on your ATT for further instructions. If you're going to use your Passport, make sure you have your signature printed. And if you have fancy passport casing, remove it. They only need the passport itself not any accessories you put into it.
  • Wear comfortable clothes, because sometimes it is cold inside. You can bring jacket specially in cold weather/season. They have lockers available on the reception where you can keep your belongings. They also have water dispenser available with disposable cups for heavy drinkers.
  • PRAY and TRUST YOURSELF!


  *** Note to self

  • Every human being is unique and you know that. What worked for me, might not work for you. Vice versa. I just shared the stuffs that helped me passed my NCLEX-RN test. It is up to you, what or which idea you will grasp from what I shared here. Make an extensive research and ask your trusted friends what worked or what is working for them to pass the exam. Then decide for yourself with all your mind and heart.                You can do this! BREAK A LEG!


6 comments:

  1. Hi just wanted to ask what type of saunders did u use? Nclex-rn or nclex-pn? Its same 8th edition thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Sorry for late reply. I used Saunders NCLEX-RN 7th Edition. If you have 8th Edition, much better! I love Saunders! Give it plenty of time to understand unit by units so you don't need to keep reading back. Quality over quantity. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience. Will surely follow your strategy.

    In terms of studying hours do you have specific targeted hours in a day?

    Im currently working so i have to really stay focus just to get into the review thing.

    Thank you and continue sharing your wisdom.

    Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Regarding to the hours, what time are you planning to take your NCLEX?
      If you are planning to take the exam in the morning, it is better to practice your body to wake up early in the morning and do review which is about the same time as your exam time.
      As for me, I'm not a morning person, that's why I scheduled my NCLEX in the afternoon. So before my exam date, my review time always starts in the afternoon.
      Then, for me, it should be at least 4 hours a day. If I felt so energized, I can do 12 hours review in a day. That's my max. Because you don't want yourself to burnout.

      In your case since you are currently working, you need to balance your time for work and review, very wisely. That must be hard but as long as you got your rhythm, it will become a routine. What time are your working hours? Do they vary in time?

      I don't recommend studying on the weekends because a span of 5 days between your study time is going to be too much. My rule of thumb is you should study at least 4 hours a day during the weekdays and do rest and relax on the weekends.
      Our goal is to set up our body to prepare for the NCLEX. Which is to make reviewing a habit and part of our daily routine until we are ready for the NCLEX.
      Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work! Virtual NCLEX Tutor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sameer! I've been busy these days that's the reason why I can't make another blog post. But I kept trying to reply on different comments and questions if I have free time. I will post more articles soon!

      Delete